Monday 20 May 2013

15 Things to Know about Patience

I  woke  up  today  and  my  fingers  were  freezing.  My  body  was  aching  with  my  body's  messenger  congratulating  me  on  my  non-pregnant  state  -  and  thank  you  hormones,  I  knew  I  wasn't  pregnant,  why  is  it  necessary  to  be  so  painful?  My  eyelids  were  heavier  with  exhaustion  than  when  I  went  to  bed  and  my  body  screamed  at  me  for  another  hours  sleep  -  just  one  more  hour,  we'll  be  fine  after  then!  My  mind  wanted  me  to  shut  back  down  and  not  think  about  all  that  work  ahead  of  me,  the  nine  hour  school  day  and  the  draft  assignment  that  was  due  but  not  finished.

Instead,  I  forced  myself  out  of  bed,  because  really,  that's  life  and  lying  in  bed isn't  going  to  protect  you  from  it.

I  stumped  around  the  house,  held  up  my  sisters  in  the  bathroom  and  generally  made    nuisance  of  myself.

And  it's  days  like  these  that  I  remember  why  I  had  no  answer  for  her,  my  friend  of  many  years,  that  day  she  turned  to  me  and  asked  in  frustration  how  I  could  always  be  so  patient.

Patient?  Me?

I'm  the  most  impatient  person  I  know.

Just  ask  my  family.  They'll  tell  you.

They'll  tell  you  how  my  words  and  actions  cut  like  a  knife.  They'll  tell  you  how  I  blow  my  top  at  them  at  the  slightest  provocation.

I  excuse  myself  on  the  grounds  of  stress.  I  plead  innocence  on  the  grounds  of  tiredness,  and  pass  the  blame  on  to  headaches.  But  really,  the  only  person  to  blame  is  myself.  Myself  and  my  lack  of  patience.

Because  patience  isn't  important  when  it's  easy.  When  it's  easy,  are  we  really  being  patient,  or  are  we  just  living  our  normal  lives?

Because  patience  isn't  about  moving  with  the  flow  of  our  private,  inner  lives.  Patience  is  about  slowing  ourselves  down  when  the  flow  of  our  private  lives  is  running  on  overload.

Patience  is  about  love.  It's  about  knowing  that  yes,  maybe  that  hard  word  would  make  me  feel  better  in  this  moment,  but  it's  going  to  crush  that  beautiful  soul,  so  I  shouldn't  say  it.

Patience  is  about  realizing  that  our  needs  are  not  the  most  important  needs  in  the  world,  and  that  instead  of  expecting  everyone  else  to  comply  to  them  we  should  be  working  to  meet  their  needs.

Patience  is  about  realizing  that  it's  not  that  everyone  else  is  moving  too  slowly,  it's  just  that  I'm  moving  too  fast. 

Patience  is  knowing  to  just.  slow.  down. 

It's  about  remembering  to  breathe.

Because  it's  when  breathing  is  agony  that  we  need  those  breaths  the  most.  It's  when  being  slow  is  a  killer  that  we  need  to  be  slow.  And  it's  when  being  angry  is  easier  that  we  need   patience.

And  patience  is  just  about  listening  to  laughter,  and cracking  mindless  jokes.  Patience  is  about  waiting  a  heartbeat  longer  than  necessary  out  in  the  cold  so  that  the  warmth  is  sweeter  for  everyone.

Patience  is  love,  and  love  is  God.  So  patience  is  fixing  our  eyes  on  God.

It's  sitting  on  our  knees  praying  to  the  God  of  Wonders.

It's  seeing  in  our  friends  and  family  not  nuisances,  but  miracles.

Because  really,  how  can  we  be  patient  when  we  forget  that  everything  is  a  gift  from  God?

Patience  is  counting  our  blessings  when  a  harsh  word  comes  to  mind.

But  most  of  all,  patience  is  trusting  that  God  will  give  me  strength  with  every  breath  I  breathe  because  I  can't  be  patient  on  my  own.

Patience  is  not  me,  it's  God.

No comments:

Post a Comment