Friday 24 May 2013

Growing Up

Last  night  I  had  the  pleasure  of  witnessing  two  dear  friends  of  mine  graduate  from  high  school.  Across  the  world,  other  friends  of  mine  are  preparing  to  graduate.  In  a  few  months,  I'll  be  walking  across  the  stage  at  my  own  graduation.

It  seems  strange,  bizarre,  to  think  that  I  am  now  the  people  I  used  to  look  up  at  and  marvel  at  how  old  they  are.

I  honestly  don't  know  how  to  feel  about  that.

Do  I  feel  joyful?  Do  I  feel  sad?  Do  I  feel  pain?  Do  I  feel  relief?

Why  do  I  have  to  grow  up?

More  accurately,  why  do  I  have  to  grow  up  so  quickly?

Growing  up  means  saying  hello.

Growing  up  means  saying  good-bye.

Growing  up  means  laughing  loudly.

Growing  up  means  bawling  my  eyes  out.

Growing  up  means  new  horizons.

Growing  up  means  departing  shores.

Growing  up...  how  does  one  keep  who  they  are  in  the  midst  of  it  all?

How  do  we  not  forget  our  dreams,  but  live  them  out?

How  can  I  reach  the  end  of  my  life,  and  not  have  any  regrets?

I  have  only  one  answer.

Only  one  answer  satisfies.

To  keep  who  I  am...  I  must  keep  my  eyes  on  the  One  who  made  me.

To  live  my  dreams...  I  must  keep  my  eyes  fixed  on  the  One  who  made  me  a  dreamer,  and  who  satisfies  every  dream.

To  not  have  any  regrets...  I  must  keep  my  eyes  fixed  on  the  One  who  gives  me  opportunities,  so  that  I  don't  miss  any.

I  must  live  as  a  child  of  God.

Then  I  will  grow  up  without  tiring,  because  He  will  raise  me  up  on  wings  as  eagles.

Then  I  will  live  my  dreams,  because  His  plans  are  to  prosper  me.

Then  I  will  not  have  any  regrets,  because  His  love  will  flow  over  me,  and  what  is  better  than  to  love?  To  love  with  His  love,  the  love  that  heals  and  nurtures  all  it  comes  in  contact  with.

And  now  I  know,  I  know  that  I  need  not  fear  growing  up.  And  I  must  shame  our  literary  hero  by  disagreeing  with  his  cry  of  "I'll  never  grow  up!",  saying  instead  "To  grow  up  would  be  an  awfully  big  adventure."

And  I  look  forward  to  it,  with  God  by  my  side.

No comments:

Post a Comment