Tuesday 28 May 2013

What the Apostles show us about ourselves - Peter

"And  Peter...  well,  Peter  was  a  bit  of  an  idiot.  As  always."

The  preacher  paused,  allowing  the  laughter  to  sweep  around  the  room.  I  laughed  too.  Of  course.  After  all  Peter  had  just  told  Jesus  that  He  would  not  suffer.  The  blind  fool.

It  was  only  later  that  I  realized.  We  were  laughing  at  ourselves.

What  was  Peter  if  not  one  of  us?

He  was  human.  He  was  over-eager.  He  misunderstood.

But  then,  how  many  of  us  truly  understand?

How  may  of  us  can  truly  say  that  we  have  grasped  that  Jesus  is  the  Son  of  God?  That  He  was  born  with  the  express  purpose  of  suffering  and  dying  in  order  to  glorify  God  through  our  salvation.

We are  humans.  Left  to  ourselves,  that  truth  is  incomprehensible.  The  Son  of  God,  the  Creator  of  All  things,  suffering  and  dying.

And  how  many  of  us  fully  understand  what  it  means  to  take  up  our  cross  and  follow  Jesus?

Are  we  really  ready  for  the  persecution  and  pain  that  entails?  Or  do  we,  like  Peter,  deny  that  we  know  Him?

Peter's  faith  and  love  was  genuine.  He  really  wanted  to  follow  Jesus.  He  simply  did  not  understand  what  that  would  mean,  and  in  his  eagerness,  he  often  made  a  fool  of  himself.

But  as  I  remember  my  life,  I  can  only  groan  and  see  that  Peter  and  I  are  not  so  very  different.

I  have  made  a  complete  fool  of  myself  acting  with  little  understanding  of  God.  In  some  cases,  I  have  injured,  sometimes  terribly.

And  how  often  would  Jesus  have  had  cause  to  turn  to  me  and  say  "get  behind  me,  Satan!"?  I  have  tried  to  dictate  His  path  to  Him  more  times  than  I  care  to  count  or  remember.

How  many  times  have  I  cried  "No,  I  won't  deny  you!"  only  to  deny  Him  a  minute  by  actions  and  my  silence?  Far  too  often.  The  praise  of  man  is  of  far  to  much  importance  to  me.  And  like  Peter,  I  have  skulked  in  the  shadows  and  protected  myself  from  the  censure  of  man.

Like  Peter,  the  only  way  I  can  truly  stand  up  as  a  bold  and  wise  follower  of  Jesus  is  to  wait  for  the  Holy  Spirit.  Wait  for  the  Holy  Spirit  to  fill  me  with  the  Knowledge  and  Power  that  comes  only  from  God  and  trust  in  that  always.

And  like  Peter,  that  needs  to  keep  on  happening.  Like  Peter,  if  I  start  listening  to  the  opinions  of  man,  I  too  will  become  a  hypocrite  and  start  to  deny  the  truth  again.

So  really,  we  aren't  so  different,  Peter  and  I.  I  only  laugh  at  him  because  I  don't  want  to  see  myself  in  him,  the  way  I  know  I  am.

No comments:

Post a Comment