Tuesday 21 May 2013

Thankful

Assignments,  exams,  grades,  early  mornings,  late  nights,  homework  only  half  done...  such  is  my  life.  And  it's  so  hard  to  keep  cheerful,  so  hard  to  stay  focused.

After  all,  it's  all  going  to  start  again  before  it's  even  over,  the  work  that  never  ends.

And  time...  time  moves  by  too  quickly.  Too  quickly  to  finish  the  work.  Too  quickly  to  spend  time  with  friends.  In  runs  like  sand  in  an  hour  glass,  only  there  is  no  adding  sand  to  the  hour  glass  of  life.  What  we've  got  is  what  we've  got.  No  more,  no  less.

And  every  day,  it's  a  struggle  to  remember  why  I'm  doing  this.  Why  I  get  myself  out  of  bed  everyday  to  go  to  school  and  get  more  work.  Why  I  go  to  bed  late  at  night,  sometimes  too  tired  to  sleep.  Contentment  seems  impossible.

And  it's  times  like  these  that  I  have  to  remember,  need  to  remember,  that  God's  voice  is  often  not  in  the  fire,  but  in  the  softly  blowing  breeze.  That  His  grandest  gifts  often  come  in  the  smallest  and  most  unexpected  packages.

I  need  to  know  this.  I  need  to  watch  for  this.

I  can't  be  so  focused  on  the  hours  slipping  by,  that  I  miss  those  moments  where  time  seems  to  freeze  and  stretch.  And  I  can't  be  so  focused  on  the  big  stresses,  that  I  miss  those  small  gifts.

The  sunlight  playing  on  my  legs  at  lunch.

The  green,  yellow  and  red  leaves  dancing  in  the  breeze.

The  children  tumbling  and  laughing  their  way  through  a  three-legged  race.

The  squeal  of  little  ones  running  with  water  soaked  sponges  in  the  crisp  autumn  air.

The  sound  of  my  friends  laughing,  though  what  the  joke  was,  I  couldn't  tell  you  the  next minute.

And  as  I  slow  down  and  breathe,  as  I  stop  to  see  and  count  all  those  little  gifts  that  my  God  has  given  me,  my  stress  melts  away.

In  it's  place,  I  am  only  one  thing:  thankful.

Thankful  that  the  little  moments  are  the  most  precious.

Thankful  that  God  loves  me.

Thankful  that  I  don't  need  to  worry  about  all  the  extra  stuff  because  they  won't  effect  my  eternity  -  that  has  already  been  guaranteed  through  Jesus  Christ.

Thankful...  thankful...  thankful...

And  suddenly,  it's  easy  to  laugh.  It's  easy  to  be  focused.  It's  easy  to  smile  at  those  around  me.  It's  easy  to  see  that  the  work  will  end.  It's  easy  to  be  cheerful.

And  so  I  laugh  and  smile  and  focus  on  the  little  moments,  giving  thanks  to  God  for  every  breath  I  take.

2 comments:

  1. Good thing to remember...
    Also you need to change writing colour or background hard to focus and read

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks :) I'll do that now.

    ReplyDelete