Wednesday 22 May 2013

Let It Rain

The  rain  hit  the  windscreen,  the  wipers  swept  back  and  forward  and  the  glass  fogged  up.  I  hunched  over  the  wheel  and  peered  out  the  window.  Out  into  the  darkened  world  and  rain  drumming  down.

"Careful!"  My  mum  warned  me.

"I  can't  see  properly,"  I  whined,  making  the  necessary  adjustment.

She  said  nothing.

"I  don't  know  which  it  is,"  she'd  said  last  night,  thinking  of  all  the  rain  in  her  life  "I  don't  know  if  it's  the  Devil  trying  to  stop  me  doing  God's  work,  or  God  saying  that  I  am  too  proud  about  my  work  and  teaching  me  to  rely  on  Him."

I  laughed  and  answered  "both"

"Very  helpful,"  she'd  said.

And  I'd  wanted  to  know  why.

Why  does  rain  have  to  be  one  or  the  other?  Why  is  it  either  a  curse  or  a  blessing?  Why  do  we  think  they  happen  separately?

Why  can't  the  Devil  be  attacking  you,  trying  to  stop  you  working  for  God's  glory?  And   why  can't  God  be  using  that  to  teach  you  not  to  be  proud,  but  to  rely  on  Him?

The  rain  that  makes  seeing  hard  is  the  same  rain  that  feeds  dry  ground.

So  let  it  rain.

No comments:

Post a Comment