Monday 27 May 2013

When Life Gets Stressful

On  the  weekend,  I  heard  the  story  of  a  family  serving  overseas.

They  serve  in  a  country  full  of  violence  towards  Christians,  with  the  violence  increasing  daily.

They  live  in  an  area  where  other  Christian  workers  have  already  been  seized  and  forcibly  sent  away.

They  are  among  the  last  left  to  serve.

They  have  seen  their  friends  injured,  even  killed  for  their  beliefs,  for  their  undying  faith  to  the  King  and  Father  of  all.

They  themselves  have  been  warned  that  those  who  have  been  interrogated  have  said  things  to  reveal  their  role  as  Christian  workers  to  the  government.

The  countdown  has  began  on  their  time  for  service  in  this  country,  a  countdown  with  an  unknown  number.

At  any  time,  they  too  could  be  taken  into  custody  and  eventually  deported.

And  all  this  while  their  oldest  daughter  is  preparing  for  her  year  12  exams.

And  I  sit  back  and  I  reflect  on  my  life  and  shake  my  head  at  my  selfishness.

I  stress  about  my  assignments,  I  freak  out  about  my  exams,  I  want  it  over  with  and  I  want  it  to  simply  disappear.

But  really?  What  have  I  got  to  stress  about?

The  grade  I  get  at  the  end  of  all  this  is  not  who  I  am.

The  way  I  perform  this  year  is  irrelevant  to  the  progress  of  God's  Kingdom.

I  live  in  peace  and  security.

My  life  is  not  threatened,  not  even  in  a  small  way.

I  have  so  many  options  lying  before  me.

Surely,  stressing  out  about  this  year  and  where  it  is  going  is  selfish,  ungrateful  and  completely  ungodly.

This  family,  they  did  not  send  us  their  story  so  we  would  feel  sorry  for  them.  They  sent  it  so  that  we  could  pray  for  them.

Prayer.  The  only  proper  response  to  the  stresses  of  life.

Prayer  and  the  acknowledgement  that  everything  that  happens  is  for  the  glory  of  God's  Kingdom.

Prayer  and  the  recognition  that  only  God's  strength  can  get  me  through  this  world.

Prayer  and  the  realization  that  I  have  been  so  blessed  and  have  so  much  to  be  grateful  for.

And  so,  when  life  gets  stressful,  I  must  remember  to  turn  my  eyes  back  to  God,  Jehovah  Jireh,  my  Provider. 

No comments:

Post a Comment