Thursday 23 May 2013

Inadequate

"The  daughter  of  some  friends  of  these  friends  died  in  a  car  crash."

"An  8  year  old  committed  suicide  because  the  bullies  just  wouldn't  leave  her  alone."

The  bitingly  sarcastic  "And  the  world  is  in  balance  again..."

Abuse...  depression...  death...

It  comes  in  from  all  around  me,  and  my  heart  breaks.

I  long  reach  my  hands  out  and  comfort  the  suffering,  but  I  can  barely  see  through  my  own  tears.

I  wish  I  could  wave  a  magic  wand  on  ease  the  ache  of  the  pain  in  the  world.

I  wish  I  could  say  something  that  would  lessen  the  suffering,  lessen  their  burdens.

But  everything  I  see  screams  out  "inadequate!"

"You  are  inadequate.  You  have  nothing  to  offer,  nothing  you  do  or  say  will  be  of  any  use.

"How  can  you  dare  to  think  that  you  can  do  anything  about  this?  You  are  so  insignificant  and  this  is  so  huge.

"Everything  you  hold  is  inadequate."

And  suddenly,  I  am  with  Peter  and  John  mounting  the  steps  of  the  temple,  walking  past  the  poor,  seeing  the  pain  and  the  suffering  and  hearing  the  cries  of  the  poor.  The  cries  that  beg  for  relief  from  the  fear  of  not  having  the  next  meal,  because  relief  from  anything  else  is  too  much  to  hope  for.

I  stand  and  watch  as  Peter  stops,  eyes  focusing  on  a  life-long  cripple,  begging  for  money.

I  hear  his  voice  saying  "silver  and  gold  I  do  not  have,  but  what  I  have  I  give  you.  In  the  name  of  Jesus  Christ  of  Nazareth,  walk."

I  watch  as  the  beggar,  astonishment  on  his  face,  leapt  to  his  feet  for  the  first  time  ever.  I  see  him  going  running  and  jumping,  strength  flowing  into  his  legs.  The  joy  on  his  face  is  remarkable,  and  he  praises  God.

And  I  know,  I  know  that  Peter  has  given  him  something  far  more  precious  and  far  more  valuable  than  a  few  coins  cast  out  of  pity.  He  has  given  him  the  Miracle  of  the  Cross.

Because  Peter  understood  that  the  Cross  was  not  for  those  who  feel  no  pain  -  there  are  none  of  those! 

And  Peter  understood  that  the  Cross  was  not  for  man  to  hold  on  to  selfishly. 

Peter  understood  that  the  Cross  was  a  freedom  from  sin  bought  at  a  high,  high  price. 

Peter  understood  that  he  was  not  the  possessor  of  the  Cross,  the  ruler,  but  the  steward  at  the  door,  inviting  people  in.

And  this  is  what  I  need  to  understand.

The  silver  that  people  today  cry  out  for  is  compassion.  And  the  gold  they  long  for  is  comfort

But  what  use  is  compassion  and  comfort  separate  from  the  Cross?

I  can  hug  those  in  pain,  and  I  will.  I  can  sit  and  weep  with  those  in  pain,  and  I  will.  But  it  is  not  enough.

I  am  a  steward  to  a  far  greater  gift.  What  I  have  to  give,  is  not  the  emptiness  of  man,  but  the  Miracle  of  the  Cross.

The  Miracle  of  the  Cross   will  not  instantly  erase  pain.  The  Miracle  of  the  Cross  will  not  immediately  stop  abuse,  heal  depression  and  reverse  death.

The  Miracle  of  the  Cross  is  the  knowledge  that  this  will  happen,  not  because  of  anything  that  I  can  offer  you,  but  because  the  One  who  created  us  loved  us  enough  to  die  for  us.

The  Miracle  of  the  Cross  is  the  Creator  of  the  World  walking  among  us  every  day,  waiting  to  take  our  burdens  when  we  can't  carry  them  and  to  carry  us  when  we  can  no  longer  stand.

And  so,  when  I  see  those  crippled  by  the  pain  of  this  world,  I  can  stand  before  them  and  say  as  Peter  did  "Silver  and  gold  I  have  none,  but  what  I  have  I  give  to  you.  In  the  name  of  Jesus  Christ  of  Nazareth,  walk."

And  though  my  heart  does  not  stop  breaking,  and  my  tears  are  still  ready  to  flow,  I  know,  I  know,  that  what  I  have  to  give  them  is  not  inadequate.

It  is  exactly  what  they  need.

3 comments:

  1. You always give me a lot to think about. I didn't even consider that meaning of that verse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing, isn't it? The Bible is so rich and so full of meaning! I've heard that story so many times, but it's only been recently that I've been understanding the implications. That's the problem with hearing these stories all the time in Sunday School, we tune out and stop listening to them properly. But I'm glad there is still so much to learn!

      Delete
    2. If you consider how many verses here are and how many meanings for each verse then think of he massive amount of meaning across the whole bible.

      Delete