Sunday 19 May 2013

To Be a Better Daughter - a Better Child - To Our Father

I  scrubbed  my  face  and  stared  into  the  mirror.  A  little  girl  in  a  woman’s  body  stared  back  at  me.

“How  can  I  be  a  better  daughter?”  I  whispered  into  the  emptiness  of  the  room.  The  One  I  spoke  to  would  hear  me.

“Believe  me,”  my  Father  answered.

“I  do  believe  you.  What  should  I  do  to  be  a  better  daughter?”  I  repeated  my  question.

“Do  you  really  believe  me?”  He  asked

“Yes,  I  do!”  annoyance  flashed  through  me.

“Do  you  really  believe  me?”  He  asked  again.

“Father,  you  know  I  do.”

There  was  a  moment  of  silence.  It  stretched  into  eternity.  “Do  you  believe  me?”

“I  have  said  I  do.  Do  you  not  be  believe  me?”  I  asked,  suddenly  understanding  how  Peter  must  have  felt  when  Jesus  asked  him  three  times  “Do  you  love  me?”.

“You  are  beautiful,”  His  voiced  whispered  into  the  silence

I  looked  into  the  mirror.  I  saw  the  hair  sticking  in  every direction,  the  rash  that  rimmed  my  eyes,  the  smile  that  had  gaps  hidden  by  fake  teeth,  and  shook  my  head.

“You  are  fearfully  and  wonderfully  made.”

I  thought  of  my  allergies,  my  eyesight…  and  shook  my  head.

“There  is  nothing  you  need  to  do  to  earn  my  love.  I  have  given  it  freely.”

I  thought  of  all  the  lies  I’d  told,  the  names  I’d  called,  the  punches  I’d  thrown,  the  swear  words  I’d  used,  the  sneers  I’d  only  been  able  to  half  hide,  the  pride  I’d  held….  shook  my  head.

“I  have  a  plan  for  your  future  that  will  blow  your  mind  away.  You  have  nothing  to  worry  about.”

I  thought  of  my  assignments,  my  exams,  the  chores  I  barely  had  time  for  and  the  work  that  piled  up  faster  than  I  could  possibly  do…  shook  my  head.

“I  will  wash  away  your  pain.”

I  thought  of  my  headaches,  my  heartaches,  the  tears  I  had  shed…  and  shook  my  head.

“You  asked  me  how  you  can  be  a  better  daughter,”  He  whispered,  sorrow  in  His  voice.  “Do  you  really  want  to  know?”

“Yes.”  I  answered  in  a  heartbeat

“Let  go  of  the  lies  you  believe.

“Believe  My  words,  because  I  speak  the  Truth. 

“When  I  tell  you  that  you  are  beautiful,  that  you  are  fearfully  and  wonderfully  made,  that  you  do  not  need  to  earn  my  love,  that  you  don’t  need  to  worry,  do  not  shake  your  head.”

“I  can’t  do  that.  I  can’t  believe  that.”

“Why  not?  Am  I  not  your  Father?”

“I  am  ugly,  I  am  flawed,  I  am  not  worthy  of  your  love,  I  have  so  much  to  worry  about.  I  need  to  be  better.”  Everything  I  was  seemed  to  crush  me.

“Are  you  calling  me  a  liar?”

“No…  I  just…  I  need  to  do  more.  I  need  to  be  more.”  Everything  He  had  done  stretched  before  me.  I  was  not  worthy  of  that.

“Why?  I  have  done  it  all.  I  have  made  you  all.”

“I’m  not  good  enough,”  I  choked.

“Are  saying  is  that  My  love  is  not  enough  for  you?”

“No…”  my  voice  faltered.  “I  am  not  enough  for  me.”

“But  I  made  you.  I  gave  you  everything  you  are.  Because  I  love  you.  Is  that  not  enough?”

I  bowed my  head.  I  had  no  answer.
“So  why  don’t  you  believe  me?”

1 comment:

  1. I love how much of your soul you put into this. Knowing you personally I could tell from a mile off that this is you.

    ReplyDelete