Saturday 18 May 2013

Courage

Courage  is  one  of  the  hardest  virtues  of  all  of  them.  Perhaps  because  it  is  more  than  just  something  we  possess...  it  is  an  act  we  do.

Courage  does  not  allow  us  to  remain  comfortable.  Courage  does  not  allow  us  to  hide.

Instead,  courage  makes  us  stand  up  and  stand  out.  Courage  often  means  we  are  alone.  Courage  means  being  willing  to  be  open,  being  willing  to  be  vulnerable.

"Courage  is  not  the  absence  of  fear,  but  the  rather  the  knowledge  that  something  else  is  more  important  than  fear."

Fear  means  staying  silent  when  we  should  speak.  Courage  means  speaking  even  when  we  will  be  ignored.

Fear  means  hiding.  Courage  means  drawing  attention  to  yourself.

As  a  Christian,  I  am  called  to  be  a  Woman  of  Courage.

"Have  I  not  commanded  you?  Be  strong  and  courageous.  Do  not  be  terrified;  do  not  be  discouraged,  for  the  Lord  your  God  will  be  with  you  wherever  you  go."  Joshua  1:9

"For  God  did  not  give  us  a  spirit  of  timidity,  but  a  spirit  of  power,  of  love  and  of  self-discipline."  2  Timothy  1:7

For  a  long  time,  I  have  been  living  with  a  Spirit  of  Timidity,  too  afraid  to  seize  hold  of  the  wealth  God  has  in  store  for  me  because  I  knew  what  the  results  would  be.

I  knew  that  the  results  would  mean  dying  to  myself.  It  would  mean  dying  to  my  selfish  desires,  my  wrong  beliefs  and  my  ugly  ways.

Is  it  not  strange?

I  knew  them  to  be  selfish,  I  knew  them  to  be  wrong,  I  knew  them  to  be  ugly,  but  I  still  held  onto  them.

I  hold  onto  them  still.

That  is  timidity.  Timidity  is  not  leaving  the  familiar,  even  if  the  unfamiliar  is  much,  much  better.

I  have  heard  of  released  prisoners  doing  anything  they  can  to  return  to  prison  because  they  don't  know  what  to  do  with  their  freedom.  It  seems  so  strange  to  us.  Why  give  up  something  us  precious  and  as  beautiful  as  freedom  for  a  jail  cell?

Yet  isn't  that  what  we  do  every  day?

God  offers  us  freedom  from  the  endless  monotony  of  the  world.  He  offers  us  freedom  from  the  devastation  of  sin.  He  offers  us  freedom  from  ourselves,  because,  if  we're  honest,  we'll  admit  that  we  are  horrid,  that  we  are  our  own  worst  enemies.

But  we  do  we  do  with  that  freedom?  We  sit  and  stare  at  it.  Perhaps  we  go  as  far  as  to  wish  we  could  have  it,  but  we  stay  in  our  chains.  We  stay  slaves  of  the  world,  of  sin,  of  ourselves.

We  stay  because  we  are  too  afraid  of  losing  ourselves.

But  it  is  when  we  lose  ourselves  that  we  find  who  we  are.

Because,  for  the  Christian,  Christ  is  who  we  are.  We  are  perfect  and  sinless.  We  mess  up,  we  fail,  we  let  God  down...  but  that  is  us,  not  Christ.

In  Christ,  we  are  free.

If  we  have  the  courage  to  accept  that.



This  blog  is  my  first  step  out  in  courage.

This  blog  will  have  two  stories.  The  first  will  be  the  story  of  my  life,  my  mess.  The  second  story,  the  one  that  I  hope  you  see,  the  one  I  want  you  to  know,  the  reason  why  I  am  typing  these  words  is  the  story  of  God's  work  and  God's  grace.

I  am  stepping  out  in  courage,  because  I  know  that  God's  love,  mercy  and  grace  are  bigger  than  my  fears.

2 comments:

  1. Fantastic Blog. I love the truth of your blog. Can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, David. That is very encouraging!

      Delete