Wednesday 19 June 2013

Big, Deep Breaths

"and  how  does  that  breathing  thing  go  again?"  I  sent  the  message  off,  slumping  forward  over  the  bathroom  vanity,  forehead  pressed  to  the  mirror.  It  had  been  a  very,  very  long  day.

"We  did  mediation  today,"  came  the  answer.  "Do  it  with  me...  breathe  in...  and  out...  and  in..."

I  chuckled,  relaxing  in  the  humour.  In  and  out...  that's  all  it  took.  In  with  the  good  stuff...  out  with  the  bad...

In  and  out...

Simple.

So  why  is  it  so  hard?

Why  do  the  mounting  pressures  of  assignments  due  and  looming  exams  to  cause  the  breath  to  go  ragged,  the  heart  to  skip  beats,  the  mind  to  spew?

Why  do  the  long  days  and  short  weeks  cause  the  breath  to  stutter  and  falter,  out  before  it  was  even  in?

Why  does  it  feel  like  I'm  scaling  Mt  Everest,  less  and  less  life-giving  oxygen  available  for  my  lungs  the  more  I  climb  the  mountains?

Why  is  it  that  the  less  I  breathe  the  more  the  words  I  wouldn't  even  think  when  I  can  breathe  come  out  of  my  mouth

And  at  times  I'm  driven  to  my  knees  gasping  for  breath  and  I  have  to  remember  that  the  Holy  Spirit  is  the  air  I  breathe.  That  I  need  to  remember  to  slow  down  and  let  Him  fills  my  lungs,  cleaning  me  of  the  foul  words,  the  harsh  thoughts,  the  bitter  actions.

There  are  nights  when  all  I  can  do  is  sink  into  my  bed,  face  damp  and  encrusted  with  salt  and  just  let  Him  do  the  breathing  for  me.

Just  in...  and  out...  in...  and  out...

In  with  the  good,  the  pure,  the  righteous,  the  Reality  of  Daughter-ship,  the  Promise  of  Heaven,  the  Assurance  of  Victory,  the  Gift  of  Grace,  the  Healing  of  Humility,  the  Peace  of  Patience.

Out  with  the  ugly,  impure,  the  unrighteous,  the  Lust,  the  Greed,  the  Self-Centredness,  the  Lie  of  Imperfect,  the  Curse  of  the  Swearword,  the  Trap  of  Anger.

In...  and  out...  in...  and  out...

On  and  on  because  there  is  always  so  much  Ugly  to  breathe  out...  and  so  much  more  Beautiful  breathe  out...  until  the  end,  when  I  breathe  out  for  the  last  time  and  wake  up  in  Heaven...

No comments:

Post a Comment