Monday 3 June 2013

Fragile


It  caught  my  eye,  as  I  walked  down  the  footpath,  that  flower  hanging  over  the  archway.

It  was  like  something  out  of  a  fairytale. A  deep  purple,  fully  opened  to  the  sky.  The  petals  were  so  thin,  I  thought  that  if  I  stopped  a  minute  and  looked  hard,  I  would  see  straight  through  them  to  the  green  leaves  behind.  It  was  delicate,  it  was  fragile.  I  pinch  from  me  or  a  peck  from  a  bird  would  have  been  enough  to  finish  it.

A  spring  flower  in  everyway.

Except  that  it  was  blooming  in  the  sharp  cold  of  winter.

I  walked  on  by,  wondering  how  the  owners  would  react  if  I  took  out  my  camera  and  started  photographing  their  winter  wonder.

Not  very  well,  I  guessed.

Still,  I  didn't  need  to  take  a  photo,  the  image  has  stayed  in  my  mind  all  day.

Fragile,  but  strong.  And  all  the  more  beautiful  for  it.

And  that  word,  fragile,  it  reminded  me  of  a  conversation.  A  conversation  in  which  I  had  grown  irritated  at  seemingly  being  treated  as  a  fragile  object.

Because  really,  who  likes  to  be  treated  as  fragile?

But  perhaps  I  do  have  "Fragile  -  Handle  with  Care"  written  on  me.

Like  that  porcelain  doll  I  keep  wrapped  up  in  a  box,  that  glass  swan  Mum  keeps  in  the  display  cupboard  or  that  flower  hanging  in  the  cold  air.

Fragile

Perhaps  I'm  wrong  in  thinking  that  to  be  fragile  means  I'm  frail.

The  most  fragile  things  are  often  the  most  precious.

That's  why  we  box  them  up  and  label  them:  Fragile  -  Handle  with  Care

And  then  there  are  the  fragile  things  that  can't  be  boxed  up  but  that  we  still  know  must  handled  with  care  -  friendships,  laughter,  the  sunlight  on  a  winter's  day,  a  cool  breeze  on  a  summer's  day,  the  innocents  of  children,  a  rainbow,  a  sunset,  love...

And  my  God  -  He  knew  I  was  fragile.

He  knew  that  the  World  would  shatter  me,  and  that  the  Devil  would  grind  me  into  dust.

And  to  Him,  the  Fragile  are  the  Precious.

That's  why  He  sent  His  Son  -  that's  why  He  became  fragile  -  that's  why  broke  Himself.

And  that's  why  His  Son  was  restored.

Now  the  Fragile  who  rest  in  Him  are  like  that  flower  I  saw  this  morning.

Delicate,  breakable,  thriving  in  the  harsh  Winter  conditions,  unbroken  when  the  world  would  shatter,  whole  when  the  Devil  would  grind  to  dust.

I  am  one  of  the  Fragile.  I  have  that  sign  written  on  me:

Fragile  -  Handle  with  Care.

But,  like  that  flower,  I  have  nothing  to  fear  about  -  my  Handler  is  God  and  He  will  not  let  me  break.

No comments:

Post a Comment