Thursday 6 June 2013

When Wednesday Comes Calling

I  don't  know  about  you,  but  I  find  Wednesdays  to  be  the  hardest  day  of  the  week.

It's  that  awful  midpoint  day,  starting  before  we've  reached  the  crest  of  the  week  and  ending  before  we've  really  started  down  the  other  side.

The  energy  of  the  weekend  has  worn  off  and  the  excitement  of  the  next  weekend  is  yet  to  come.

Whether  you  look  forward  or  back,  the  same  number  of  days  is  there.

Yesterday  was  a  terrible  Wednesday.  My  day  started  late,  and  my  mind  didn't  start   till  even  later.  I  missed  my  regular  Christian  group  because  I  was  practicing  for  the  only  thing  on  my  mind:  my  English  assessment  on  Thursday.  My  school  day  ended  late  -  I  did  not  leave  school  for  nearly  three  hours  after  it  ended.  My  brain  also  decided  to  switch  of  early.

Basically,  the  hardest  day  of  the  week  was  terrible.

And  I  think,  life  has  Wednesdays,  times  when  looking  back  and  looking  forward  has  the  same  view  and  we  have  worked  for  something  so  long,  but  still  have  the  same  amount  to go.

The  midpoint  is  where  I  stagnate,  where  I  wonder  what  the  heck  I'm  doing  with  my  life,  where  I  begin  to  lose  my  focus  on  what  God  has  for  me,  not  only  ahead  of  me,  in  Heaven,  but  right  here,  right  now.

The  Wednesdays  of  my  life  are  my  darkest  points,  my  hardest  hours  and  days.  My  Wednesdays  are  when  I  need  to  call  on  God  the  most,  but  I'm  so  worn  and  weary  that  even  calling  seems  impossible.

But  it's  ok...  because  God  has  promised  that  when  I  can't  call  to  Him,  His  Spirit  understands  my  hidden  groans,  and  calls  for  me.  God  has  promised  that  He  will  be  my  refuge  in  the  dark  hours  of  my  life,  and  if  I  will  only  wait  on  Him,  He  will  teach  me  how  to  fly.

And  when  I  can't  see  that,  when  I  can't  remember  that,  He  sends  a  little  moment  in  time,  a  little  Gift  to  remind  me.

Last  night  my  sister's  puppy  was  dozing  on  my  parents  bed.  I  picked  her  up  and  carried  her  through  to  my  sister,  placing  the  puppy  into  that  hollow  in  the  curl  of  my  sister's  body.  I  sat  there  a  moment,  the  only  light  streaming  in  from  the  door  behind  me,  illuminating  the  puppy  as  she  licked  my  sister's  face  and  my  sister  as  she  sleepily  moved  to  greet  her  puppy.

It  was  just  a  moment,  easily  missed,  soon  gone,  but  in  it  was  the  breath  of  Heaven,  the  reminder  to  keep  breathing,  because  His  light  can  reach  into  our  darkest  Wednesdays.

No comments:

Post a Comment