Monday 10 June 2013

When Grace is Too Easy

I  don't  think  I'm  the  only  one.  The  only  one  who  often  thinks  that  grace  is  brilliant,  but  what  do  I  need  to  do?

I  know  I'm  not  the  only  one  who  wants  clear  rules,  boundaries,  if  you  do  this,  you  will  get  a  pat  on  the  head  and  if  you're  really  lucky,  a  treat.

In  a  way,  it  reminds  me  of  our  dog.

Well,  our  puppy,  I  should  say.

She's  young,  6  months  this  coming  weekend.  My  sister  has  spent  the  past  several  months  training  her.

The  routine  is  familiar.  One  of  us  gets  out  her  treats  and  immediately,  she  starts  begging  and  being  obedient,  willing  that  treat  to  come  to  her.  She  knows  that  if  she  does  this  trick  right,  she'll  get  that  delicious  thing  in  her  owner's  hand.  And  she  does  it.

It's  the  same  with  me,  isn't  it?  I  want  that  treat  that's  just  out  of  my  reach,  that  reward  I've  spied  up  ahead.

And  my  immediate  response?  I  start  searching  for  ways  to  obtain  it.  Things  I  can  do  to  get  it.

It's  how  society  works,  how  our  children  are  taught.  Work  hard,  earn  more  money.  Sit  on the  toilet  to  do  your  business,  you'll  get  a  chocolate  coin.  Behave  with  integrity,  get  respect.  Do  your  homework,  get  a  sticker.

We  are  taught  that  doing  gets  results.

Grace  turns  this  on  it's  head.

Grace  says  nothing  you  can  do  will  get  you  where  you  want  to  go.  But  that's  Ok,  I'll  bring  where  you  want  to  go  to  you.

Grace  is  the  raise  that  comes  after  a  week  of  lazing  about.  Grace  is  the  chocolate  coin  that  comes  after  a  week  of  soiled  clothes.  Grace  is  the  respect  given  after  a  week  of  shameful  conduct.  Grace  is  the  sticker  that  comes  even  though  the  homework  hasn't  been  handed  in.

Anyone  start  looking  for  loopholes  there?

We  can't  comprehend  it.  We're  immediately  suspicious.  "What  do  you  want?"  would  be  the  first  question  on  our  minds  -  it  is  certainly  the  first  on  mine  whenever  my  sisters  do  something  nice  for  me!

Grace...  it  just  seems  so  easy.  Too  easy.

Do  nothing?  Is  that  really  it?  But  God...  what  can  I  do?  I  have  to  become  worthy  for  You,  surely.  I  don't  deserve  this...  I  need  to  earn   this.

Instinctively,  we  seek  for  a  way  to  pay  back  our  debt  -  because  that's  what  Grace  does,  isn't  it?  Leaves  us  massively  in  debt  -  leaves  us  in  a  position  of  reliance,  of  dependence,  on  someOne  other  than  us.

Who  doesn't  want  to  be  in  control  of  their  own  lives?

And  suddenly,  the  apparent  easiness  of  Grace  becomes  the  reason  that  Grace  is  so  bloody  hard...  literally  bloody  hard...  the  Man  who  was  God  had  to  bleed  in  order  for  Grace  to  be  available.

And  there  is  nothing  -  nothing  -  harder  than  letting  go  of  control.  Than  trusting  that  all  is  truly  well.  There  is  nothing  harder  than  forgetting  about  doing  and  simply  being.

Earlier  today,  my  dad  banished  the  dog  to  the  backyard.  She  was  so  upset.  She  sat  a  whined  at  the  door  until  my  sister  took  pity  and  let  her  back  in.  Why  did  the  dog  whine?  Because  she  wanted  to  be  with  us,  her  people.  Why  did  she  get  progressively  sadder  and  more  desperate?  Because  she  feared  being  left  out  in  the  cold.  Perhaps  she  fears  being  abandoned.

But  my  family,  for  all  the  trouble  she  gives  us,  wouldn't  part  with  her  for  anything.  We've  given  her  a  home  and  our  love,  and  that  home  and  love  is  not  dependent  on  the  way  she  behaves.  It  was  simply  because  we  wanted  to.

And  that's  Grace  -  being  given  a  Home  in  Heaven  and  the  Love  of  the  Father  that  is  not  dependent  on  the  way  we  behave,  but  simply  because  He  wanted  to.

And  it  all  seems  so  easy  -  but  isn't  it  just  the  hardest  thing  in  the  world?

No comments:

Post a Comment