Friday 21 June 2013

This Selfish Heart

I'm  breaking  to  breathe  and  to  think  and  to  study  God  before  I  begin  to  study  the  course  again.  And  I  open  my  favourite  blog,  wondering  what  soul-nourishing  and  breath-abling  words  she'd  written  today,  that  Canadian  farmer's  wife  and  mother  whose  love  for  God  shines  in  all  she  says.

And  as  I  read  her  words,  I  find  my  breath  is  going,  my  heart  is  contracting...  or,  more  accurately,  my  breath  is  leaving  because  I'm  seeing  my  heart  for  the  size  it  is:  tiny...

Because  she's  in  Africa  and  all  around  her the poor are bringing their widows offering,  throw  their  last  two  copper  coins  onto  the  offering  table  and  she's  crying  to  know  why  the  rich  don't  give  because  they  think  it  will  ruin  them  and  why  the  poor  do  give  because  they  know  it  will  make  them.

And  I  find  my  breath  going  because  I  know  I  am  the  rich  who  doesn't  give  because  I  fear  it  will  ruin  me...  and  why  can't  I  risk  everything  I've  got,  give  as  freely  as  the  poor  give?  Why  does  this  selfish  heart  cling  to  the  trifles  God  has  given  me  in  His  love  instead  of  working  as  His  ambassador  -  selfishly,  uncomfortably,  honestly,  boldly...

Why,  when  I  feel  His  selfless  hand  touch  my  selfish  heart,  do  I  shrink  away?

The  selfless  and  the  selfish  can  not  exist  together...  so  why  do  I  cling  to  the  selfish,  and  live  as  a  beggar?  Why  do  I  not  let  His  selfless  hand  destroy  my  selfish  heart  and  create  a  heart  of  abounding  love?

And  I  know  I'm  not  the  only  one  depriving  myself  of  His  love  by  loving  myself  and  my  wants  first...  all  around  me  I  see  Christians  sick  with  the  same  starvation,  killing  themselves  by  feeding  on  self-love  and  not  on  God-love.

I'm  as  bad  as  the  rest  of  them...

And  I  see  the  truth  of  those  crazy,  powerful  words  that  crazy  powerful  carpenter  spoke  on  a  distant  mount:  "blessed  are  the  poor,  for  they  will  inherit  the  kingdom  of  God"...  the  Kingdom  of  God  is  the  Kingdom  of  Love  and  the  poor  live  the  love  far  more  often  than  the  rich,  for  they  give  all  for  the  Kingdom...  and  the  Kingdom  gives  to  them

And  only  last  Friday  a  bishop  from  the  Congo  spoke  in  chapel,  his  words  full  of  love  and  sacrifice,  his  ambitions  soaring  higher  than  that  of  any  man,  woman,  boy  and  girl  provided  for  that  I  have  ever  met:  he  dreamt  of  building  a  guest  house,  so  that  he  had  more  money  to  care  for  the  poor,  the  orphaned,  the  widowed.  He  dreamt  of  feeding  his  people  on  the  Word  of  God,  the  only  food  that  matters.  He  dreamt  of  giving  his  all  so  that  others  might  have  all.

And  I  find  the  selfless  hand  of  God  reaching  for  my  selfish  heart  and  my  breathing  is  ragged  and  I'm  wondering  if  I  can  make  that  change.

To  live  as  a  widow  giving  her  last  copper  coins.  To  be  a  Ruth  who  abandons  all  for  the  love  of  God.  To be an Esther,  working  for  the  materially  destitute  of  God's  people  because  I  have  been  given  wealth  for  such  a  time  as  this.  To  be  a  Mary,  willing  to  risk  my  life,  my  honour,  the  respect  of  those  who  love  me  and  who  I  love  so  that  the  plans  of  God  can  be  worked  out.

But  can  this  selfish  heart  be  made  selfless  and  loving?

Only  by  the  selfless,  loving  offering  of  Jesus'  blood.

And  my  breathing  slowly  settles, 
though  my  heart  stills  tries  to  flee,
the  love  of  God  will  do  His  work  in  me.

No comments:

Post a Comment