Tuesday 11 June 2013

Pandora's Box

I  heard  the  story  as  a  child,  as  a  young  adult,  it  fascinates  me.

The  beautiful  woman  with  the  Box  she  longed  to  open.  The  tantalizing  secret  she  couldn't  ignore.



The  Box  that  contains  Malice,  Greed,  Envy,  everything  that  hurts  and  destroys  and  one,  small,  hidden  gift:  Hope.

We  all  know  how  the  story  goes.

It  was  punishment  from  the  gods  -  the  woman  few  men  could  resist,  the  box  the  woman  could  not  resist.

It  did  not  end  well.

She  opened  the  Box  -  and  all  the  ugly,  destructive  spirits  trapped  inside  escaped.  They  fled,  filling  the  world  and  acting  out  that  punishment.

She  -  she  saw  what  she  had  done,  and  in  fear,  she  slammed  the  lid  down,  leaving  Hope  inside.

And  perhaps  the  reason  the  story  fascinates  me  so  is  because  I  see  a  little  of  her  in  me  -  and  a  little  of  that  Box  too.

I  am  like  that  Box  -  full  of  many,  many  things.  Some  Beautiful,  most  Ugly.

I  am  like  Pandora  -  the  desire to  open  my  Box  is  strong.

And  that  Box,  when  I  open  it,  I  open  it  out  of  impatience,  out  of  curiousity.  I  open  it  the  wrong  way.  And  with  that,  I  unleash  all  the  Ugly.

All  the  Malice,  the  Greed,  the  Envy,  the  Hate,  the  Lust,  the  Lies  that  the  Box  holds  inside  is  let  out.

And  I  -  seeing  what  they  are  doing,  the  pain  and  the  destruction  they  cause  -  I  cause  -  slams  the  lid  back  down,  leaving  only  one  thing  inside:  Hope.

And  it's  hard  to  trust,  when  seeing  the  Ugly  things  I  do  and  say  to  trust  that  there  is  anything  good  inside  of  me  -  locked  in  that  Box.

And  often,  it's  easier  to  keep  it  locked  up,  hidden  away,  so  that  nothing  else  that's  Ugly  in  me  can  escape  to  the  world.

And  all  the  time  Hope  is  inside,  begging  to  be  let  out,  to  heal  the  wounds  the  Ugly  have  inflicted.

Because  the  Hope  locked  in  me  is  no  fairy  tale  hope,  no  mythological  promise  of  Utopia  -  no,  this  is  the  Hope  is  the  Hope  of  eternity,  bought  at  the  heavy,  heavy  price  of  God's  own  Son,  and  added  to  my  Box  by  the  Holy  Spirit.

That  Hope  is  not  mine  -  yet  out  of  fear,  I  keep  it  locked  in  me.  I  ignore  the  pleas  to  be  released,  because  I  fear  what  else  is  in  there.

It  took  her  husband  to  convince  her  to  open  the  Box  again,  to  let  out  Hope.

But  once  she  did,  Hope  darted  out  into  the  world,  healing  first  her,  than  everyone  else  who  had  been  harmed.

And  it  takes  my  Father  to  convince  me  to  unlock  my  Box  again,  to  let  out  His  Hope.

It's  a  daily  battle  -  because  what  else  will  come  out  with  Hope?  What  Ugliness  will  I  unleash  today?

But  on  the  days  when  I  bend  to  my  Father's  will,  when  I  unlock  my  Box  and  release  Hope,  everything  else  seems  so  much  easier  to  bear.  Hope  heals  me  of  the  wounds  left  by  the  Ugly  released  from  my  Box...  and  it  moves  beyond  me,  a  soothing  balm  and  a  healing  touch  to  all  those  around  me.

1 comment:

  1. I like how all the evils in the world can be defeated by the tiniest ammount of hope

    ReplyDelete