Sunday 9 June 2013

When we feel too Ugly to be made Beautiful

We  have  a  swimming  pool  out  the  back.

Just  a  little  thing,  nothing  fancy.  In  the  summer  time,  we  love  it.  There  is  nothing  better  than  changing  into  our  swimming  suits  and  jumping  into  the  pool,  shrieking  as  our  bodies  hit  the  cool  water.

Of  course,  in  the  winter,  the  pool  is  far  too  cold  to  swim  in.  If  we  tried,  we'd  probably  end  up  covered  in  icicles.  So  the  pool  spends  the  winter  months  lying  there,  completely  undisturbed.  We  don't  even  have  the  filter  going.

The  pool  clogs  up  with  leaves  and  algae.

Today,  I  was  out  by  the  pool  and  noticed  the  colour  it  has  become  -  black.

Or  at  least,  such  a  dark  green,  so  full  with  clumps  of  leaves,  that  it  appears  black.

A  fair  cry  away  from  the  sparkling  blue  of  summer,  the  water  we  would  throw  ourselves  in  without  a  moments  hesitation.

No,  this  water  I  wouldn't  even  want  to  dip  my  toes  into,  let  alone  throw  myself  in  with  abandon.

Who  could  approach  something  so  filthy,  so  ugly?  Who  could  appreciate  that?

Yet,  as  I  sat  by  the  pool,  soaking  up  the  sun,  I  watched  as  first  the  cat,  then  the  dog,  wandered  over  and  began  to  drink  of  the  water  -  I  was  horrified  -  the  stuff  looks  gross,  but  they  just  kept  going  back.

And  then  a  little  bird...  a  tiny  thing,  brown  and  grey  from  what  I  could  see.  It  darted  into  the  pool  and  out,  in  and  out,  until  the  dog  chased  it  away.  The  ugly  colour  did  not  stop  it,  it  thought  only  of  the  cooling  relief  it  found  in  the  waters.

And  it  struck  me...  even  the  ugly,  even  that  which  we  would  not  touch,  that  we  are  ashamed  of  within  ourselves  can  still  be  made  beautiful.  What  is  more  beautiful  than  giving  relief  to  others?  What  makes  us  more  beautiful  than  the  love  of  God?

And  when  we  feel  ugly,  when  we  feel  useless,  worn  down,  it  does  not  mean  we  truly  are  ugly.

The  love  of  God  does  not  change.

He  still  pours  His  love  and  blessings  out  on  us  in  abundance.

And  there  are  many  who  may  come  to  draw  from  our  waters,  finding  in  them  cooling  and  respite.

And  it  is  so,  so  difficult  to  remember.  To  remember  that  my  ugliness  is  only  in  my  head,  and  that  God  has  truly  made  me  Beautiful.

But  like  my  pool  that  I  would  not  touch  for  it's  ugliness,  I  am  still  a  tool  in  God's  hands,  used  as  He  will,  for  His  glory  in  the  lives  of  those  around  us.  And  really,  what  is  more  Beautiful?

1 comment: