Monday 3 June 2013

When We Go Too Far

"I  feel  I've  done  something  that  can  never  be  forgiven."

And  for  a  moment  all  I  can  do  is  nod.

Because  isn't  that  the  story  of  my  life?

Maybe  this  time,  this  time,  I've  gone  too  far.

And  even  if  it  wasn't  this  time,  the  Devil's  all  too  ready  to  remind  me:

There  is  a  sin  as  black  as  the  deepest  caves,  rotting  away  in  my  past.

It's  threatening  to  over  whelm  me,  and  suddenly  I  find  I  can  not  even  raise  my  eyes.

Because  how  can  someone  like  me,  even  dream  to  speak  with  Him?  How  can  someone  like  me,  dare  to  say  I  am  His  own?

And  what  if  it  is  all  a  mistake?  And  I  reach  Heaven  only  to  see  Him  shake  His  head  and  send  me  on  His  way?

And  the  Devil  is  there  to  whisper  in  my  ear  "hypocrite,  ugly,  blackened"  the  minute  that  I  open  my  mouth.

And  I  find  myself  face  down,  longing  to  beg  and  fearing  to  speak.

And  in  that  mist  one  thing  becomes  clear:  the  Son  of  God  hanging  on  His  cross.

In  that  mist  a  single  voice  floats  make  to  me:  my  own  calling  out  in  scorn.

I  shrink  into  myself,  there  it  is:  the  proof  -  what  have  I  done  but  mock  the  Son  of  God?

And  then  His  voice,  it  comes  out  even  louder,  the  cry  unto  His  Father  "forgive  her,  she's  knows  not  what  she  does."

I  look  up,  confused  -  did  He  just  plea  for  me?

Then  He  looks  at  me,  He  smiles,  the  love  of  Heaven  in  His  eyes  and  tells  me  "it  is  finished."  before  His  eyes  close  in  death.

In  that  minute,  I  see,  that  Grace  has  set  me  free.

There's  nothing  I  can  do.

The  harder  I  try,  the  more  links  I  forge.

All  that  I  can  do,  is  stare  up  at  the  Son  of  God,  stand  in  His  light,  wash  in  His  blood  and  raise  empty  hands  to  God.

And  when  the  Devil  whispers  "you're  not  good  enough,  do  you  think  that  you  can  be  saved?"

I  can  turn  to  him  and  say  "I  know  that  I'm  not  good  enough,  how  could  I  ever  be?  I  feel  my  sin  behind  me,  it  threatens  to  devour  me,  but  God  has  made  me  perfect.  To  Him  I'm  purest  white.  And  while  sometimes,  I  can't  believe,  I  cling  to  Him  anyway.

"Because  there's  no  such  thing  as  too  far  away  -  how  can  there  be  when  He  went  the  whole  way?  And  whilst  I  know  my  sins  are  real,  I  know  His  Grace  is  too.

"As  for  you,  Mr  Devil,  your  tricks  have  been  made  plain  -  you  roar  in  the  night  like  a  lion,  and  threaten  to  destroy,  but  really,  all  your  teeth  are  gone.

"Do  I  think  I  can  be  saved?  It  is  so  hard  to  believe,  but  because  I  am,  I'll  sing  it  out  -  and  there's  nothing  you  can  do!"



And  so  I  gaze  upon  the  Cross,  I  drink  up  all  the  Life  He  bled,  and  though  sometimes  -  every  day -  I  stop  and  turn  around,  I  know  He  will  never  turn  away  from  me.

1 comment: