Saturday 15 June 2013

Guiding Us Home


We  went  for  a  walk,  the  puppy  and  I.  It  was  late,  the  sun  had  set  and  the  way  was  lit  by  street  lights.

I  was  fed  up  with  studying,  and  the  family  was  fed  up  with  her  energy,  so  we  went  for  a  walk.

I  decided  that  we  both  needed  a  longer  walk  than  she'd  been  on  before,  so  I  took  her  a  route  she  wasn't  used  to.

At  first,  she  was  happy,  pulling  a  little  too  hard  at  the  leash  in  her  excitement  and  sense  of  discovery.

But  the  further  we  got  away  from  her  comfort  zone,  the  less  willing  she  was  to  go  where  I  led  her.

It  reached  a  climax  when  we  arrived  at  the  local  oval.  She  refused  to  go  down  on  the  oval  with  me,  setting  her  face  back  the  way  had  come,  straining  against  the  leash.

I  knelt  beside  her  and  told  she'd  just  have  to  trust  me.  I  knew  where  we  were  going,  even  if  she  didn't,  and  I'd  take  her  home  safe.

She  didn't  understand,  and  continued  fighting  to  go  back  the  way  we'd  come.  Many  times,  she  stood  up  on  her  back  legs,  preferring  that  to  following  me.

Still,  she  did  follow  me.  She  was  too  small  to  do  otherwise,  my  hold  on  her  leash  too  firm.

She  followed  me,  her  reluctance  obvious,  her  desire  to  go  the  familiar  way  clear  as  she  continued  to  stop  and  turn  around,  looking  back.

You  could  tell  the  moment  she  realized  we  were  going  home.  We  turned  the  corner  at  the  shopping  centre,  up  the  main  road.  She  stopped  fighting  to  go  back  and  started  trotting  a  long  happily.

More  than  that,  she  started  straining  at  the  leash  to  go  faster,  to  pick  up  speed.

She  was  too  eager.  She  wanted  to  run  the  rest  of  the  way.  Many  times  along  the  way  I  had  to  stop  her,  make  her  catch  her  breath  and  look  around  her  for  a  bit. I  knew  that  if  she  didn't,  she  wouldn't  be  able  to  walk  the  entire  way.

The  last  stretch  we  run.  Dog  and  human  both  aware  that  home  was  only  a  few  feet  away,  running  to  cross  the  threshold.

When  we  got  in,  home  after  our  long  trip,  the  puppy  ran  start  to  her  water  bowl.  She  did  not  stop  to  find  and  greet  the  rest  of  the  family,  she  went  straight  for  the  water,  lapping  it  up  keenly  and  enthusiastically.

As  I  watched  her,  I  couldn't  help  but  reflect  on how  similar  our  walk  had  been  to  my  lifelong  walk  with  God.

God  is  guiding  me  Home,  He  has  promised  a  Home  with  Him,  in  Heaven,  as  His  child.

Yet  how  many  times  does  He  have  to  kneel  down  beside  me  and  tell  me  not  to  worry,  to  trust  Him,  because  He  knows  the  way  and  He'll  get  me  there  safely?

How  many  times  have  I  stopped,  staring  back  down  the  way  we've  come,  wondering  why  He  just  can't  take  me  home  the  familiar  way,  the  way  I  expect?

How  many  times  has  He  had  to  drag  me,  while I  kicked  and  screamed?

Far  too  many  times.  More  often  then  I've  walked  willingly.

Then,  of  course,  there  are  the  times  I've  caught  sight  of  Home,  I've  realized  that  yes,  He  really  is  taking  me  there.  Then,  I've  picked  up  and  run,  straining  at  my  leash,  wondering  why  He  isn't  going  faster,  why  He  keeps  telling  me  to  stop  and  rest,  ignoring  everything  around  me  that  He  wants  me  to  see,  forgetting  to  just  spend  time  with  Him.

We  haven't  reached  my  home  yet.  We're  still  walking,  still  moving  along.  But  I  wonder,  what  will  my  reaction  be  when  I  make  it  Home?

Will  my  first  impulse  be  to  run  to  that  Spring  of  Living  Water  that  flows  through  His  City  from  His  throne?  Or  will  I  be  distracted,  looking  around  for  loved  ones  lost?

I  suspect  that,  like  our  puppy,  I  will  run  straight  for  those  Waters.  I  will  run  straight  to  the  Relief,  Life  and  Love  that  only  He  can  give,  and  my  Heart  will  sing  praises  of  Thankfulness  to  the  One  who  brought  me  home.

And  I  can  hardly  wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment